Police Brutality / Shooting Lawyers in Raleigh
North Carolina Civil Rights Attorneys Protecting Victims of Police Brutality
Police brutality and officer-involved shootings have become two of the nation’s leading hot-button issues. With boisterous attention being given to these matters, advocates and civil rights proponents have helped reshape many laws and policies regarding law enforcement, their relationships with the communities they’re obligated to protect and serve, and the ways in which they address various matters of enforcement to ensure public safety and bolster the rights of individuals and families who bring civil claims against law enforcement and other public entities accused of wrongdoing.
As a Raleigh-based law firm with a national reputation for protecting the rights of the injured and the wronged throughout North Carolina and beyond, Edwards Kirby is committed to tackling even the toughest civil rights cases. Our attorneys have dedicated careers to social justice and civil rights, and are not afraid to employ the experienced, aggressive, and resourceful approach these claims require.
Why Edwards Kirby?
- 25+ Years Fighting for Victims Across NC and the Nation
- Led by Two of the Country’s Most Acclaimed Litigators (John Edwards, David Kirby)
- Record-Setting Verdicts and Settlements in a Range of Complex Civil Cases
- Prioritization of Personal Attention & Client-Focused Legal Services
Our award-winning legal team at Edwards Kirby is led by two of the most respected and highly acclaimed litigators in America: former U.S. Senator John Edwards and David Kirby. With careers dedicated to protecting the injured, the wronged, and the voiceless, our attorneys can help protect your rights following police brutality or an officer-involved shooting, and help you explore your options for the legal journey ahead.
Learn more about your rights and available options during a free consultation. Your case is important not only to the pursuit of justice and compensation you deserve, but also the need for continued progress and accountability in our civil justice system. Call (919) 335-7005.
Civil Lawsuits Over Police Brutality / Police Shootings
Law enforcement officers have difficult and commendable jobs, and many of them uphold the high standards of professionalism and ethical conduct required of their posts under the most stressful of situations. Unfortunately, as many movements, studies, and statistics make abundantly clear, not every officer or agency meets those standards, however. Their failures to do so can have profound, permanent, and life-altering consequences – both for the individuals and families they’ve harmed, and for the communities which lose faith and trust in those who are supposed to protect.
Police brutality and police misconduct can take many different forms, including:
- Personal injury or wrongful death of victims at the hands of any law enforcement agency or public law enforcement entity.
- Unnecessary or excessive use of physical violence, including excessive / unnecessary use of non-lethal weapons such as taser guns.
- Degrading, unnecessary, and unlawful searches and seizures;
- Sexual assault and emotional or psychological abuse committed by law enforcement;
- Coercion, extortion, and misuse of police power to compel individuals into certain acts, admissions, or matters they did not wish to make or take part in;
- Profiling or misconduct based on race, gender, national origin or other biased behavior;
- Officer-involved shootings in matters of mistaken identity, excessive use of lethal force, and in matters when non-lethal options or more appropriate steps could and should have been taken.
Your Rights as a Victim: Making Your Voice Heard
If you or someone you love believe you have been a victim of police brutality in any form, you may have the right to pursue a civil lawsuit against the individual officer, agency, and / or public entity that failed to adhere to established rules and protocol, or which failed to ensure the safety of communities and the public by hiring, retaining, or covering up the misconduct of certain employees. Determining what constitutes brutality, excessive force, or misconduct in any case requires a personalized assessment of the individual facts and circumstances involved, and the underlying acts or force used in relation in to the situation, by knowledgeable attorneys who know the standards in place and the rights of individuals.
While police brutality and shooting cases often make for complex and often hotly contested claims, they can provide victims with an opportunity to make their voices heard, and allow them to seek justice and compensation for their resulting damages. That includes various economic and non-economic damages they and their loved ones may have incurred, such as:
- Medical bills and future medical expenses;
- Lost wages and lost future earnings / earning potential;
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish, embarrassment, and mental anguish;
- Grief and other psychological or emotional injuries.
Thought victims of injustice have a right to recover damages and make their voices heard, it is an unfortunate fact that many defendants – including the government itself – leverage their power and resources to prevail in claims brought against them by less-powerful individuals. Overcoming this hurdle, and other challenges involving the unique rules and procedures inherent to civil claims made against public entities, requires the help and support of committed and experienced advocates.
At Edwards Kirby, our attorneys have staked their careers and reputations on leveling the playing field for the everyday American – even when they face off against powerful defendants like local, state, or even federal law enforcement.
Learn how we can fight for you by calling (919) 335-7005 for a FREE consultation.
I immediately knew they were the right people to represent us.
Got me the maximum payout I could have received through the person at fault's insurance.- V
Thank you for your work, your knowledge, and your professionalism!- J. L.
Our dedicated team provides personalized service to every client. Ensure your case gets the attention it deserves and contact us today.