Employment & Civil Rights Lawyers in Raleigh
Defending the Rights of Individuals Against Government and Employer Misconduct
At Edwards Kirby, we represent individuals who have been mistreated by their government or their employer. Every American citizen is offered specific rights and protections under the U.S. Constitution. In fact, the first 10 amendments to the U.S. Constitution specifically limit the power of the federal government and set forth the rights of citizens to free speech, due process, freedom from cruel & unusual punishment, and protection from unreasonable search and seizure, to name a few. In addition, specific state and federal laws have been implemented to ensure protection from prejudice, discrimination, retaliation, and harassment in the workplace and beyond.
Our lawyers help hold the government and employers accountable when they deny individuals these rights. We represent individuals who have been victims of police misconduct, prosecutorial abuse or rights violations in jails and prisons. We also stand up for employees who have witnessed fraud by an employer, experienced discrimination or harassment in the workplace, or been retaliated against for speaking out.
Edwards Kirby is committed to safeguarding these important protections for individuals and groups, whether being breached by the government, corporations, or others. These essential rights belong to each American, and should never be abandoned in favor of prejudices or abuses of power. Edwards Kirby is dedicated to defending our rights, from protecting individuals from police misconduct to defending the right of every American to work without fear of sexual harassment.
Learn about your rights as an employee and how Edwards Kirby can help by calling (919) 335-7005.
Types of Civil Rights Cases We Handle
For 25 years, Edwards Kirby has fought for clients’ rights across North Carolina and throughout the nation. We can take on a wide range of civil rights cases and will not hesitate to go up against the government if necessary to seek justice for our clients. In fact, we are known for our skill in court and will present a formidable opponent for any individual, corporation, or government entity.
Our Raleigh civil rights lawyers can take on cases involving:
- Police brutality
- Racial profiling
- Wrongful arrest and imprisonment
- Mistreatment while in police custody
- Lack of proper care or treatment in the prison system
- Cruel and unusual punishment by law enforcement or prison officers
- Denial of basic needs in prison or jail
- Discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, etc.
Types of Unlawful Employment Practices
Under federal and state law, employees have a right to work in an environment free from discriminatory treatment, unlawful pay practices, or fear of retaliation. Our Raleigh employment law attorneys are committed to upholding these rights to the fullest extent. We expose violations of workers’ rights and help wronged employees rebuild and recover.
Some common unlawful employment practices include:
- Sexual Harassment: A work environment where inappropriate sexual behavior pervades, including physical and verbal sexual harassment, unwanted sexual advances, and a quid pro quo system of sexual favors
- Fraud and Whistleblower Retaliation: Misuse of funds by employers and retaliating against employees who assert their right to speak out against it, often through termination or unfair terms and conditions of employment.
- Employment Discrimination: Discriminating against employees in hiring, firing, pay, or other terms and conditions of employment based on gender, race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, or sexual orientation.
Fighting for Individuals’ Rights
At Edwards Kirby, we believe every person deserves to be treated lawfully and with respect. If you have been subjected to any of these unlawful practices, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a free, confidential case evaluation.
Call (919) 335-7005 today to schedule your free consultation.