Mary Kathryn’s areas of practice include personal injury,
medical malpractice, and health insurance lien resolution.
Mary Kathryn is an active member of the North Carolina Bar Association,
North Carolina Advocates for Justice and the Wake County Bar Association.
She is also an active member of Edenton Street United Methodist Church,
where she serves as the coordinator of her Missional Community’s
service project, which provides a meal once a month at the New Bern House
Mary Kathryn serves on the North Carolina Bar Association 4ALL Statewide
Service Day Committee, the Wake County Bar Association’s Public
Service Committee, the Campbell Law School Alumni Association Board of
Directors and the Meredith College Paralegal Program Advisory Committee.
Mary Kathryn is also the membership co-chair of the North Carolina Advocates
for Justice New Lawyers Division. She is married to Richard Kurth.
$1.5 million settlement after a child drowned in a pool with lifeguards on duty.
$6 million settlement for a child who suffered paralysis from an injury at a recreation center.
$950,000 settlement after a fatal dump truck accident.
$1.2 million recovery for a mother who was injured during childbirth.
$1.05 million settlement for an employee seriously injured after falling down an elevator shaft.
Best Lawyers’ “Ones to Watch” for her work in Appellate Practice, and Medical
Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
Super Lawyers Rising Star 2020
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association 4ALL Statewide Service Day Committee 2019-2020
- 2019 North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Academy
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ)
- NCAJ Auto Torts & Premises Liability Section
- NCAJ Professional Negligence Section
- NCAJ New Lawyers Division Membership Co-Chair 2019-2020
- Wake County Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association Public Service Committee
- Campbell Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Campbell Law School Alumni Association Board Public Service Committee
- Meredith College Paralegal Program Advisory Committee
- Edenton Street United Methodist Church
- Edenton Street United Methodist Church West Raleigh Missional Community
Mary Kathryn is a native of Tarboro, N.C. After graduating as valedictorian
of her high school class, she attended N.C. State University, where she
obtained her B.A. in political science with a minor in Spanish in 2008.
Mary Kathryn has always had an interest in the law. She earned her paralegal
certificate from Meredith College in 2010 and worked as an NC Certified
Paralegal until enrolling at Campbell Law School in 2012.
During law school, Mary Kathryn was on the dean’s list and was awarded
competitive merit scholarships. As a law student, she worked at the NC
Department of Justice, in both the Tort Claims and Health & Public
Assistance sections, and at the NC Department of Health & Human Services.
Additionally, she was a research assistant to Professor Patrick K. Hetrick.
During law school, Mary Kathryn was a member of the leadership board for
the Campbell Law Innocence Project, which is dedicated to exonerating
those who are wrongfully convicted of crimes. During law school, she also
began working at Edwards Kirby as a law clerk. After law school, she was
in the first class of Wallace Fellows at Campbell Law School. As a Wallace
Public Service Fellow, she helped oversee 15 student pro bono projects
varying from drafting wills to representing clients in obtaining domestic
violence protective orders.