Mary Kathryn’s areas of practice include personal injury, medical malpractice, and health insurance lien resolution.
Mary Kathryn is an active member of the North Carolina Bar Association, North Carolina Advocates for Justice and the Wake County Bar Association. She is also an active member of Edenton Street United Methodist Church, where she serves as the coordinator of her Missional Community’s service project, which provides a meal once a month at the New Bern House in Raleigh.
Mary Kathryn serves on the North Carolina Bar Association 4ALL Statewide Service Day Committee, the Wake County Bar Association’s Public Service Committee, the Campbell Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors and the Meredith College Paralegal Program Advisory Committee. Mary Kathryn is also the membership co-chair of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice New Lawyers Division. She is married to Richard Kurth.
- $1.5 million settlement after a child drowned in a pool with lifeguards on duty.
- $6 million settlement for a child who suffered paralysis from an injury at a recreation center.
- $950,000 settlement after a fatal dump truck accident.
- $1.2 million recovery for a mother who was injured during childbirth.
- $1.05 million settlement for an employee seriously injured after falling down an elevator shaft.
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star 2020
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association 4ALL Statewide Service Day Committee 2019-2020
- 2019 North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Academy
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ)
- NCAJ Auto Torts & Premises Liability Section
- NCAJ Professional Negligence Section
- NCAJ New Lawyers Division Membership Co-Chair 2019-2020
- Wake County Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association Public Service Committee
- Campbell Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Campbell Law School Alumni Association Board Public Service Committee
- Meredith College Paralegal Program Advisory Committee
- Edenton Street United Methodist Church
- Edenton Street United Methodist Church West Raleigh Missional Community Volunteer Coordinator
Mary Kathryn is a native of Tarboro, N.C. After graduating as valedictorian of her high school class, she attended N.C. State University, where she obtained her B.A. in political science with a minor in Spanish in 2008.
Mary Kathryn has always had an interest in the law. She earned her paralegal certificate from Meredith College in 2010 and worked as an NC Certified Paralegal until enrolling at Campbell Law School in 2012.
During law school, Mary Kathryn was on the dean’s list and was awarded competitive merit scholarships. As a law student, she worked at the NC Department of Justice, in both the Tort Claims and Health & Public Assistance sections, and at the NC Department of Health & Human Services. Additionally, she was a research assistant to Professor Patrick K. Hetrick.
During law school, Mary Kathryn was a member of the leadership board for the Campbell Law Innocence Project, which is dedicated to exonerating those who are wrongfully convicted of crimes. During law school, she also began working at Edwards Kirby as a law clerk. After law school, she was in the first class of Wallace Fellows at Campbell Law School. As a Wallace Public Service Fellow, she helped oversee 15 student pro bono projects varying from drafting wills to representing clients in obtaining domestic violence protective orders.