Sexual Harassment Attorneys in Raleigh
Exposing Sexual Harassment at the Workplace
Sexual harassment remains a widespread issue in workplaces throughout America, but it is absolutely unlawful and unacceptable. Sexual harassment is a form of gender discrimination that involves conduct of a sexual nature and/or sexual advances by a coworker or superior. Sexual harassment can make a victim feel unsafe, frightened, and vulnerable. It can affect job performance and may have lasting psychological effects, leading to depression or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Edwards Kirby is committed to standing up against sexual harassment. Our Raleigh employment lawyers fight for workers across North Carolina who have been subjected to any type of abuse or harassment of a sexual nature at the workplace, using our considerable experience to hold at-fault employers and other parties accountable.
For a free, confidential consultation with one of our lawyers, give us a call at (919) 335-7005. We’re here for you.
Types of Sexual Harassment
At work, sexual harassment can take on many forms. Some common types include:
- Unwanted sexual advances.
- Visual conduct of a sexual nature, such as leering, making sexual gestures, and displaying suggestive objects or pictures.
- Verbal conduct of a sexual nature, such as use of derogatory comments, graphic verbal commentaries about an individual’s body, sexually degrading words used to describe an individual, and sexually suggestive or obscene letters, notes, or invitations.
- Physical conduct of a sexual nature, such as touching, assault, and impeding or blocking movements.
- Quid pro quo: exchange of employment benefits for sexual favors.
- Making or threatening reprisals after a negative response to sexual advances.
These types of behaviors are prohibited in the workplace. Employers are responsible for taking reasonable steps to prevent such harassment from occurring, and sexual harassers can be held personally liable. Our Raleigh sexual harassment attorneys steadfastly hold the harassers and the employers who support them accountable.
If you have been the victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, please contact Edwards Kirby at (919) 335-7005. We can help.