Raleigh Burn Injury Attorney
Proven Representation for Seriously Injured Victims & Families
Burns are among the most painful injuries one can endure. They can also be difficult to treat, slow to heal, and more likely to cause disabilities, disfigurement, and lasting impairments than other injuries. In the most severe cases, they can be life-threatening if not fatal. For these reasons, burn injuries are often considered “catastrophic injuries” in personal injury law.
At Edwards Kirby, our nationally acclaimed personal injury lawyers have earned a reputation for our ability to resolve difficult and high stakes cases, including those involving victims who suffer serious injuries such as burns. Because the needs of these victims are often elevated, we know full and fair compensation is vital to helping clients and their families rebuild their lives and prepare for the future, which is why we fight aggressively to guide victims through the legal process and toward the justice and financial recoveries they require.
If you would like to discuss a burn injury case, your rights and options, and how Edwards Kirby can help you, call (919) 335-7005 to request a FREE consultation, or contact us online. Our personal injury lawyers serve clients across Raleigh and North Carolina.
Burn Injuries & Personal Injury Lawsuits
Burn injuries come in many different forms, different levels of severity, and can occur as the result of various causes. Some of the most common causes of burn injuries include:
- Fires and flames
- Scalding from heated objects
- Contact with from hot liquids
- Electrical burns
- Chemical burns
While identifying the cause of a burn is important to aiding victims in their medical treatment plans and physical recoveries, any personal injury case involving burn injuries will require a closer look into what set of circumstances led to the burn injury. Specifically, victims will have the right to pursue a civil injury lawsuit if they can prove that another’s negligent or wrongful acts led to their wrecks. This may include any number of situations, such as:
- Preventable car accidents or motorcycle accidents
- Defective products
- Dangerous conditions on another’s property
- Mismanagement of harmful substances
- Hazardous electrical conditions
- Workplace accidents caused by a negligent third party (i.e. a contractor)
- Medical malpractice
Elements of an Injury Claim & Your Right to Compensation
To prevail in a personal injury claim, victims need to prove few essential things, including:
- Legal Duty – It must be shown that the defendant owed the victim some type of legal duty. This “legal duty” can exist in many different forms. For example, motorists have a legal obligation to safely operate their vehicles, businesses that cater to public customers have an obligation to ensure safe conditions on their premises, and doctors have a duty to provide an acceptable standard of care.
- Breach of Duty – Victims must prove a defendant failed in some way to uphold their legal obligations. This breach of duty often arises from negligence, such as when a motorist runs a red light, or a business fails to fix a potential hazard they knew or should have known about.
- Causation – Victims must also prove the defendant’s “breach of duty,” or simply their negligence, more likely than not caused their injuries. This can require evidence and compelling arguments, such as demonstrating how a driver’s moving violation more likely than not led to a preventable crash, or how a business or property owner should have known about a potential fire hazard, yet failed to address it.
- Damages – In order to recover financial compensation for burn injuries or any other preventable injury, victims must also show they suffered damages. In burn injury cases, these damages can be severe, and may include various economic and non-economic losses such as medical bills and future medical needs for skin grafts, reconstructive surgery, and other procedures, permanent disabilities and diminished earning potential, pain and suffering, lost income, emotional anguish, lost quality of life, and more.
As our case results show, our attorneys are skilled in effectively proving the essential elements required to establish fault and liability. What’s more, our team is led by former U.S. Senator John Edwards and David Kirby, two of the most highly acclaimed trial lawyers in the nation. Their proven abilities provide our clients with a fighting chance at trial and the settlement table, even against the most powerful corporate defendants and insurance companies.
Call (919) 335-7005 to Request a FREE Consultation
Burn injuries can be immensely painful, debilitating, and life-altering, and can create extensive losses for both victims and their families. If you believe your burn injury was caused by the negligent or wrongful acts of another, we encourage you to reach out to our firm as soon as possible. Our attorneys can personally evaluate your case, explain your rights and options, and discuss how we may be able to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Call (919) 335-7005 or fill out an online case evaluation form to get started. Edwards Kirby handles cases throughout North Carolina, and works on contingency fees, meaning there are no costs to hiring our firm and no fee unless we win.